4.24.2009

Hatikva in a faux Talmud Page

Hatikva is an anthem of yearning that like the Haggada is more concerned with the journey than the destination. Israel is a young country. This faux Talmud page tries to capture the old new land that inspires so much affection and provokes so much anger. Choni HaMa'agel, the rainmaker looks over to Yehuda Amichai as he drives through the Arava desert and notes:


Ein Yahav
A night drive to Ein
Yahav in the Arava
Desert,
a drive in the rain. Yes, in
the rain
There I met people who
grow date palms,
there I saw tamarisk
trees and risk trees,
there I saw hope barbed
as barbed wire.
And I said to myself:
That’s true, hope needs
to be like barbed wire to
keep out despair,
hope must be a mine
field.

For the whole Talmud Page click here

No comments:

Post a Comment