3.20.2009

The Great Jewish Army

I guess I am not shocked, or even surprised by the disclosures in the NYT and the Israeli Press. I am saddened by them. Bialik got what he wished for, a nation like all others. This is the stuff of all citizens armies and having been a soldier in this one, I can tell you that there are all kinds of folks who don an Israeli uniform--and some of them, believe me, you would rather not know.

The moral code for killing by definition is a dubious one, but necessary. Remaining sensitive in battle is probably not the best recipe for survival, so things happen. It doesn't make it right, but we are talking about an enemy who has declared that no Israeli--man, woman or child is an innocent. So, it may not be for them, that we should have mercy, but for ourselves, to prevent us from becoming someone we would rather not recognize.

I do believe that this type of carnage follows us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment